Country Cabin II in Norton features Aug. 22 Blue Railroad from 7:30-10:30 p.m. $6 adults age 12 and over, $1 children age two through 11. Call 276/679-3541 for information. Music is performed in the big building which has open doors. We are following Virginia Covid-19 guidelines: social distancing, masks, etc. All events are sponsored by Appalachia Traditions, Inc., a non-profit organization.
1,000 Things Before Kindergarten
Lonesome Pine Regional Library is launching 1,000 Things Before Kindergarten (1KTB4K), a new reading challenge for young children beginning the week of August 24, 2020. This program will be incorporated into our existing Baby Sprouts and Little Pines sessions, but is also open to all children from birth through age 5 years. As our preschool programs begin, the library will implement additional safety measures. Each child will be provided with his/her own materials, such as crayons, glue, scissors, etc. Class sizes will be smaller but there will be more classes offered and the parent or adult caregiver will stay with each child. The programming area will be sanitized after each class. Your child’s safety is our upmost concern.We hope that you and your child will join us in this reading adventure. Registration begins on August 10, 2020. Call your local library for dates and times.
• Wise County Public Library 276/328-8061 Contact: Ashely Blevins, Children’s ProgrammerEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• C. Bascom Slemp Memorial Library 276/523-1334Contact: Sherry Nelson, Children’s ProgrammerEmail: email@example.com
• Coeburn Community Library 276/395-6152Contact: Wanda Rose, Children’s Programmer Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgJ.
• Fred Matthews Memorial Library 276/762-9702 Contact: Belinda Levy, Children’s ProgrammerEmail: email@example.com
Wise County Public Library
C. Bascom Slemp Memorial Library
MEOC’s 44th Annual Walkathon
Mountain Empire Older Citizens’ (MEOC) 44th Annual Walkathon, which raises money for its Emergency Fuel Fund for the Elderly, will be a little different this year. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event will be virtual.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
A virtual walk is a real walk done at your convenience. To participate, simply complete a 5k walk before Sept. 30 at whatever time and location works best for you. Then, share your pictures, videos and comments on social media using the hashtag #MEOCWalkathon2020 to show your support.
To participate, contact MEOC at 276-523-4202 to get your pledge form, so that you can begin gathering sponsors. If you are unable to walk, but still want to support the cause, your contribution can be sent to MEOC, P.O. Box 888, Big Stone Gap, VA 24219. You may also visit MEOC’s website www.meoc.org to make a donation. Please designate your contribution for the EFF/Walkathon. Everyone can help by spreading the word to family, friends and neighbors about this event. For more information about this year’s Walkathon, contact MEOC at 276-523-4202 or 1-800-252-6362.
Descendants of Wm. Henry Yates annual reunion will be held September 5 at Flannagan Dam picnic area shelter #1. Beginning at noon. For more information call 276-865-4707 or 276-835-9172
• With sadness, we report that the 51st CARICO REUNION annually scheduled for Labor Day Saturday will be postponed until 2021. We will notify relatives a few months ahead in 2021 of a new location and instructions. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please contact me (Anna Wells 276-679-2096) or Mitzi Carico (276-870-2139). Between now and then, please be noting memories and experiences of your Carico family to announce at the 2021 reunion. Thank you for your patience.
• Hunsucker-Wampler reunion is canceled for August.
Please support the Coalfield Progress by subscribing today!